Lindbergh - TIMELINE
by Marvin Bjornstad
Lindbergh events have often been effected by some changes in Elk Point and vice versa. Here we have included some major Elk Point events for appropriate context as well as some Alberta and Canadian events.
1792 Fort George and Buckingham House fur trading posts established southeast of present town on North Saskatchewan River.
1800 Fur trading forts abandoned.
1817 Dog Rump House established at mouth of Dog Rump Creek, to serve as shipping depot for Moose Lake (Shaw House) outpost of H.B.C.
1822 Dog Rump House abandoned.
1823 Hudson Bay Company and North West Company merge forming one company.
1829 Last remnants of Dog Rump House dismantled and floated downstream to help build new Fort Pitt.
1845 Much disputed territory south of North Saskatchewan River between Blackfoot and Cree leading to violence.
1857 Captain Palliser recommends opening Rupert's Land for settlement.
1862 Trail from Fort Pitt to St Paul widened for carts by Lac La Biche fathers to make fur traffic easier.
1862 Various travellers moving along trails to get to Klondike goldfields.
1864 John MacDougall widens early trail from Saddle Lake to Victoria Settlement.
1867 Early trail widened from Victoria Settlement to Fort Edmonton.
1870 Rupert's Land sold to Dominion of Canada; N.W.T. created.
1872 North West Territory Council formed to govern the west.
1874 Pioneer Telegraph line built from Winnipeg to Battleford to Hay Lake, and later to Fort Edmonton.
1874 NWMP arrive in the west headquartered in Fort Macleod and Fort Edmonton, many travelling by Mooswa on the Carlton Trail.
1881-1883 27,000,000 acres of land surveyed in N.W.T.
1884 Study recommends Pioneer Telegraph Line be moved to where people are at Saddle Lake and Victoria.
1885 Northwest Rebellion creates turmoil in nearby areas. Telegraph line is found to be very useful. Sawmill in use in Mooswa.
1886 Dominion Telegraph moved to cart track from Fort Pitt to Frog Lake to Mooswa to Saddle Lake to Victoria to Edmonton. Mooswa Telegraph Station built.
1896 Area resurveyed following Riel Rebellion
1896-1903 367,000 immigrants arrive in Canada from Europe.
1904-1913 2,500,000 more immigrants arrive to settle Canada's prairies.
1904 Two trapper living east of Lindbergh are starving and one dies, maybe due to murder.
1905-1906 - Alberta becomes a province. First settlers arrive in area. Bob Chanler (a NWMP from 1902 to 1906) builds at top of hill overlooking North Saskatchewan River. Bob died in 1953 at 79.
1909 Eddie Davis opened a store at Mooswa next to the Telegraph Station. (now Riverview).
1910 Tyrol Post Office opened at Stewart Maxwell family farm (later Tom Johnson farm).
1911 Lindbergh ferry installed. Burrell Hatchard is first baby born in Lindbergh. Tyroll PO moved Moose Creek Telegraph Station and renamed Mooswa.
1911 Moose Creek School opened across the creek from the current hamlet of Lindbergh. Miss Moody taught 26 pupils.
1913 Mooswa Cemetery started.
1914-18 World War I.
1922 AG Ross joins Dr Miller’s practise.
1923 First hospital established by Dr Miller and Dr Ross. First electrical power plant, used for hospital.
1928 CNR reaches Lindbergh. The Eddie Davis store and post office moved from Mooswa to Lindbergh and the tiny village began to grow. John Palynchuk’s Store (later Karl Heinamin’s Store) built.
1928 First Municipal hospital started construction in Elk Point. Grain elevator in operation in Lindbergh.
1931 Name of Lindbergh changed.
1934 Second Blacksmith shop opened by William Penerowski.
1935 Municipal office set up in Lindbergh in old Mooswa School.
1937 Gladys Sweheim built Red and White store which later became Jim Young’s Store
1939-1945 World War II
1943 First highway built between Elk Point and St. Paul.
1946 Elk Point Medical clinic opened. Three oil companies drilling in Lindbergh area hit salt and plan a new plant with Edmonton investors.
1947 Construction camp at Salt Plant begins building the new plant. Alex Wyness stated at Salt plant during construction after working at Fort McMurray salt plant.
1948 New salt plant is completed by Alberta Salt Company.. Herb Ayres was manager. Cascade Salt is brand name.
1949 Bridge built to replace Elk Point ferry, officially opened June 1950. First bus service between Elk Point and Edmonton (Greyhound Buslines). Official opening of Salt Plant on March 19, 1949. 200 people on special train attend.
1950 Canadian Salt Company formed buying up Alberta Salt Company and C.I.L. company. Windsor Salt is its brand name.
1951 Highways completed including Vermilion, Elk Point, and St. Paul. Cascade Community Club formed by salt plant employees. Windsor Salt Licks begin publication.
1952 Canadian Salt Company begins building homes at Riverview for some employees.
1952 February Accident at Salt Plant Harley Young and Johnny Mackenzie died; Alf Fakely injured.
1954 H. Sills becomes Salt plant manager.
1955 Windsor Club formed, and curling rink built. Fuse plant begins operations.
1956 January has first curling in new building. John D. Williams becomes plant manager. First mixed bonspiel in March.
1958 Lindbergh School expanded to new three-room school. Original derrick at Salt Plant taken down.
1959 Second street of house begin being built in Riverview for employees who wish to build their own homes there.
1960 End of CN’s exclusive shipping contract. First trucks loaded at Salt Plant July 15, 1960.
1962 Beginning of Windsor Club cribbage tournaments.
1965 Expansion of kitchen in Curling club.
1966 Ken Palamerek House built.
1967 Salt Plant expanded.
1970 New boiler added to Salt Plant. New Salt sheds built. New road under construction.
1972 Elk Point Streets paved. Road to Lindbergh rebuilt and paved as part of Peter Lougheed’s roads to nowhere. Salt Plant parking areas paved.
1973 AG Ross Agriplex arena built. Lindbergh Salt Plant expanded again. Mooswa hockey club formed. New gas pipelines built to Salt Plant.
1974 New evaporators added to plant. Salt Plant production hits 400 tons per day.
1976 Buckingham House senior citizens home opened. New municipal hospital built, old one demolished
1977 New Elk Point Co-op grocery supermarket opened.
1980 Last train September 11. John Williams retires September 1. Ken Palamarek new manager. New block press installed.
1983 New Alberta Wheat Pool high-capacity elevator west of Elk Point
1984 Several oil company offices and service industries built.
1985 New high-span open bridge finished in Elk Point, old bridge moved and dismantled. A generator moved from Duvernay to the Salt Plant and installed adding 800 KW electrical power.
1988 Canadian Salt Salt celebrates 40 years of production June 15.
1988 Elk Point Elementary school renovated and expanded, gym enlarged.
1989 April Windsor Salt Plant celebrates 1.5 million hours without a lost time accident.
1992 Bicentennial (200 years) celebrated in Elk Point.
1998 June 10 Canadian Salt Plant celebrates 50 ears in Lindbergh
1998 Major fire at Salt Plant burns maintenance buildings.
2000 October Canadian Crude Separators plan announce to be built next to Canadian Salt Plant at Lindbergh.
2009 Windsor Club ends with a garage sale.
2018 November Lindbergh Salt Plant sustains structural damage when wall collapses between boiler room and pan room. Many employees on layoffs.
|Lindbergh timeline.pdf||88 KB|